Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred the Red Shirt Fred the Red Shirt is offline

Default Sept 11, 2001

On Sep 12, 12:11*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Where were you? What were you doing?

* Backing my truck out of the driveway on the way to work. *...
At that point, it was clear this was a deliberate act. *By the time I got
to work, it was very clear that an act of war had been perpetrated on us.

That was to be the first day of my vacation. I got up. cleaned
the house, packed my bags, then went out to walk my dog.
I noticed two teenagers, twin girls about 15-16 whom I frequently
saw walking to school sitting on a bench at a playground which
I thought was odd since it was about 11:00 am. They were
trying to call someone on a cell phone and seemed to be upset.
One of the other neighbors was with them so I went on by
and back to my house. There I called my mother to tell her
I was leaving and should be there by dinner time.

She told me about the attacks. I got off the phone and switched
on the TV, watched the news for about 30 minutes. One thing
that stick sin my mind was the 'coincidental' crash of a jetliner
in Pennsylvania, what, according to Peter Jennings, would
have ordinarily been the lead story but was, on that day,
merely a footnote. That plane was United 93. At the time
there were reports of up to twenty jetliners till unaccounted for.

I called my mother back and told her that would be postponing
my vacation, and it would be a couple of days before I would
call again because we were being asked to keep the phone
lines clear for emergency communications.

Then I went on in to work. The roads were choked with
traffic as I had never seen them before, moving slowly
but steadily and every driver was courteous.

I went in to work because it was what I could do to help.
That's not because my job was related to the emergency
services, but because we are all part of a larger whole
and doing our jobs,whatever they be, contributes in
some way.

That was what, IMHO, all Americans and indeed, people
all around the world needed to hear the aftermath of the
attacks. To get out and work, take an active role, contribute
to making the world a better place, help to eliminate the
people who fly airliners into buildings.

Instead we were told to stay home, hide, and our leaders
would take care of it for us.

--

FF