Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default The deal of a lifetime!! GLOAT!!!

Rob Fraser wrote:

You guys have been the only honest
voice of reason and I sincerely mean it. other that you it's all been about
what someone can get for nothing. My dad said it's like turning the lights
on and watching the roaches run away but only in reverse.... Sorta makes
sense if you think about it.

That is so sad. I agree with another poster, that he
probably took great pleasure in your reaction to his gift.

I had a long time machinist friend pass away earlier this
year. My fiance had just come over from Australia, and we
were going to get together so he could meet her. He was my
best man at my first wedding, and might well have been again
for round 2. He'd told me a month before that he had some
rare form of lung cancer, but I got no clue how short his
time really was. We'd talked and were going to get together
the following week, when he didn't make it.

He'd told me years ago that anything of his tools I wanted,
I'd get first shot, just be fair with his son who had no
interest. While at his place looking through tools, his
nephew was running around laying claim to most of everything
but the machinery. I did manage to lay claim to a very
unusual protractor he'd told me I could have, but there was
little but odds and ends not already claimed. I did pay way
too much for an old Kennedy box with cutters I'll never use
and some worn out measuring tools. I worked out of that box
28 years ago when I was just moving more into machining at a
company we both worked for.

Now, this may draw some derision, but my fiance has some
interesting talents, one being the ability to communicate
with those departed. Danni told me later that Chuck was
there, and most upset with how everything was going down. He
was also upset with himself over not specifying how his
estate was to be settled. That was part of what he wanted to
talk to me about. If we'd been able to meet, I just would
have advised him to make sure his wishes were written down.
They weren't and it was a free-for-all.

I hope your friend is around for a good long while. Whether
or not he senses his time might be near, it's obvious he has
a great fondness for you and knew the stuff was going to a
good home. I'd consider that gift a very high compliment on
his perception of your character and how you two interacted.

I hope one day to be able to bestow my collection of tools
and such on someone worthy.

Jon