Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Speeds when facing

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
You might want to explain the type of surface fininsh you need, which may
or may not be the same results as the type you might be anticipating
(depending upon numerous variables).

big snip

Mild steel disc - 5-8" diameter, 1/8" -1/4" thick.
The desired surface finish is:
a) Flat
b) Even
c) Equivalent to 300 - 600 grit
d) The reverse side finish is less stringent - 200 grit would do.

At this point there is *no* machine available for this. I am trying to
design one to construct from used matchsticks and double-sided sticky tape
(you have to be British to get that reference :-). I am sorting out in my
mind what is the best way of going about it.

So far all I have come up with is an old gramophone player - 33-1/2 to 78
rpm would be just right :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC