Posted to uk.d-i-y
gazz gazz is offline

Default Calculating your carbon footprint - a load of ********

"R D S" wrote in message

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone else filled in one of these besides me?

I just tried out
http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/carboncalc/html/index.aspx

just tried it, we dont drink tea or coffee so never boil a kettle, but i had
to tell them that i did,
dont have a dishwasher yet told to buy one... because one full load a day is
better than loads of bowls of hot water!!! one bowl of hot water does all
our plates (16 piece) and the washing up gets done twice a week,

underfloor insulation again, they never heard of concrete floors i guess,

Since we moved in here, we've had no kitchen as i'm re-doing it, so we have
no cooker, and are using the microwave for all our meals, yet it tells me to
use the microwave more because its more efficiant that a conventional
oven... waht conventional oven, we dont have one.

i'm to turn the thermostat down by one degree... havent bloody got one,
well, only the one on the combi boiler which senses water temp i believe.

and i'm to walk and use public transport more,
it's a mile walk to the bus stop from my house, having arthritis this is a
bit far for me to walk, and when i get there it's at least 2 quid to go into
town,
i can ride the motorbike into town, park for free, and come home for about
30p's worth of petrol.

I'm going to do another carbon calc for my motorhome next, that'll screw
things up,
got underfloor insulation.. the entire shell is a sandwich of wood,
polystyrene and alli,
got solar panels (pv) that produce all the power i need to run everything in
the van,
i get hot water as i drive along from the coolant loop from the engine to
the calorifier,
The washing machine in there is an A++ rated one, uses 30 litres of water
per wash and is fed with warm water using the free hot water from the
engine, and the electric to run it comes from the batteries, charged up from
the solar panels of the engines alternator when i'm driving.
The heating is from a diesel fired eberspacher, which also heats the hot
water calorifier up if needed, uses a max of 1 litre an hour, but only runs
for about 5 to 7 minutes per 30 minutes to keep the van at 23 degrees C.

I've got a microwave in the van, but using that more means i'd have to run
the genny or engine to re-charge the batteries, (can use it for 15 minutes a
day without it affecting the power levels from the solar charge the next
day)

And i bet it can't handle the fact that whilst i'm producing carbon from
driving it, at the same time i'm heating the hot water up for showers and
washing up later on, and producing upto 165 amps of power for re-charging
the batteries, which means a couple of hours totally re-charges the battery
bank, where as it takes almost a day on mains hookup using power station
generatored power.