Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Electric Connection for Gas Boiler

Robin wrote:

Would there be any issue if I removed the switch box and put a regular
plug on the wire instead?

If I did this I could put a timer on the plug (X10), insert into socket
and presto, I've got the boiler on a timer.

A simpler solution would be to replace your room thermostat with a
programmable one. This combines the functions of timer and thermostat
and also gives added control in that you can choose different target
temperatures for different times of the day.

Screwfix do a quite reasonable one for about £22.

--
Cheers,

John.