Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Yearly Maintenance on Wood Deck for Various Deck Finish?

"Jay Chan" wrote in message

By the way, what I want from the deck finish a (1) prevent the
pressure treated wood deck from turning grey in order to maintain the
natural wood color or have a nice redwood color, (2) reduce water
absorption into the wood, (3) reduce mildew on the wood surface, (3)
annual maintenance is OK, taking too much time to do each annual
maintenance is not OK.

The current wood deck finish that I have on the deck is semi-
transparent stain.

The semi transparent stain or a solid stain are not going to work well. No
matter what quality you buy, it is going to peel after a year. Railings and
other vertical parts will be OK, but the deck itself is not going to hold
up. I've tried various products over the past 20 years. They all peel and
the wood turns gray. Live with it or replace the deck top.

If I was re-building, I'd use either Ipe, mahogany, redwood, cypress or
cedar, in that order. I'd give it a coat of Penofin oil every year as it
has good UV protection.

The other choice is a plastic type material with solid color.