Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default "tuning" in a Freeview digital TV set-top box

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
N Cook wrote:
Looking a bit deeper the main problem stations are on UHF Channel 33,
Mux D the highest frequency of the local (Rowridge) group. Unless anyone
knows how to push the problem into the totally junk and so deleted
shopping channels, looks like a new yagi and downlead.

If you can ascertain the age of the aerial in certain areas, as has been
said, it may not be suitable for all the FreeView muxes - in the same way
as some weren't suitable for Ch5. It all depends on the frequencies used
locally. In the London area the muxes are within the existing grouping -
you'd need to look it up for Rowridge. There are probably some yagis
still in use from the early BBC2 days which were peaked for just the one
frequency.

A near neighbour has no problem with any freeview channel with a
relatively short Yaggi in his loft space.

Could be a wideband type.

The immediate neighbour, so yaggi only a couple of
feet away and parallel, uses a line powered headend amp which perhaps
could be radiating/interfering/coupling. Perhaps a different mounting
position should be considered also.

A few feet can make a difference. But while you're up there you might as
well change it. If you're in a reasonable field strength area go for a log
beam. Nice smooth response and good DP. And use a decent satellite cable
rather than plain UHF. I like these people for such things - and their
strap chimney mounting is a delight to use.

https://www.blake-uk.com/page/aerial_dml

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I agree on all points. A decent log periodic is the way to go. Also remember
that any amp, if required, must also be 'digital specified' which in
practice means wideband and masthead. CT100 is a good choice for the coax.

A different position for the aerial can make all the difference. Many years
ago, in the early UHF colour days, I was installing a TV in a village that
was a very difficult reception area, being in a complete hollow in the
countryside. We arranged for the aerial man to be there at the same time as
us. I clearly remember him walking backwards and forwards along the house's
ridge line, with an aerial 6 foot long on a 10 foot pole in his arms looking
for somewhere to get a signal. Success was the difference between a chimney
stack on one end of the house, and another one thirty feet away at the other
end ...

Arfa