Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts Jeremy Nicoll - news posts is offline

Default Tin openers

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

When I was looking for an opener suitable for a frail person,
I though one of these looked ideal. It wasn't though. Removing
the upper rim loses the upper rigidity of the can, and she
couldn't then pick up the can without squashing it, resulting
in spill over and possible dropping.

Yes, if you just try to grasp opposite sides of the tin.

You could eg place the tin on a plate, perhaps a largish soup-plate first,
and plan to upset it as soon as it is open.

Or place it on a chopping board, open it, then slide it off the board so one
can get one's hand under it as well as gripping part of the side of the can.