Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default ESR meter wonky

1PW wrote:
On 09/13/2008 12:38 AM, jakdedert sent:
My Dick Smith Series II meter is giving me fits. Upon initial power up,
it works fine. Then it starts giving erroneous high ESR readings. When
this happens, I attempt to zero the meter. Instead, it shuts off, and
refuses to zero out.

After a few moments, it works fine again until the entire cycle starts
again.

I subbed a 9v battery for the included pack...mostly because I didn't
have any AAAs around when I first built it. The unit gets light use
around my hobby shop. The battery reads 9.05v open circuit, and pulls
down to 9.01v under load, so I don't believe it to be the fault
(although I included the info, just in case).

Anyone have similar issues?

jak

Hello:

I have the original so that won't help but, does this?

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrprob.htm

Please let us know.

Good luck to you!

It did indeed (see reply to Arfa). Thanks a bunch! For the record, the
9v battery seems to be holding up well; but this unit doesn't get daily
(maybe weekly or even monthly) use. If it did, I'd likely install the
AAA pack. I carved out a piece of foam to fill the space, with a recess
for the cell...insulated the back of the pcb.

jak