Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default ESR meter wonky

Arfa Daily wrote:
"1PW" wrote in message
On 09/13/2008 12:38 AM, jakdedert sent:
My Dick Smith Series II meter is giving me fits. Upon initial power up,
it works fine. Then it starts giving erroneous high ESR readings. When
this happens, I attempt to zero the meter. Instead, it shuts off, and
refuses to zero out.

After a few moments, it works fine again until the entire cycle starts
again.

I subbed a 9v battery for the included pack...mostly because I didn't
have any AAAs around when I first built it. The unit gets light use
around my hobby shop. The battery reads 9.05v open circuit, and pulls
down to 9.01v under load, so I don't believe it to be the fault
(although I included the info, just in case).

Anyone have similar issues?

jak

Hello:

I have the original so that won't help but, does this?

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrprob.htm

Please let us know.

Good luck to you!

--
1PW

@?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@ [r4o7t]

Second item down in the section "Power Control Problems" or fourth item down
in "Incorrect Readings and Display 'Freezing' " sections on the page linked
by 1PW seem as though they might cover it, Jak

Arfa

It appears to have. It was this entry:
Meter switches off instead of zeroing: It will do this if the test lead
circuit resistance is higher than 0.99 ohms. Check that the nuts on the
banana sockets are tight, and that the banana sockets and plugs aren't
oxidized. A solid squirt of CRC Contact Cleaner on the plugs then some
serious jiggling in their sockets can help a lot.

At first I thought one of my meter leads was dodgy, but some tightening
and wiggling and all appears good...well, a little wonky yet, but at
least it's a known problem with defined solution. If need be, I'll
disassemble and reassemble everything in that area...maybe buy some real
meter leads.

jak