Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tin openers

Tim Decker formulated the question :
Has anyone else been having problems with opening tins? We found it
really hard to open tins with a previous tin opener. So I got an old
fashioned butterfly one and this didn't work very well, so bought
another from Asda (35p) and found this didn't work. Finally went to
John Lewis and paid for an expensive one (£7) and have now found this
doesn't work properly.

Our seem to work at first but they soon stop working.

This made me think that maybe the manufacture of tinned goods has
changed slightly.

The folded over lip does seem to be thinner. As a standby I keep a
really simple tin opener which is intended for camping etc. and fits on
a key ring. It is made from two bits of flat metal, one hooks onto the
rim of the tin, the other is the blade hinged onto the first. I have
had it for over twenty years on my car keys and it never fails to work.
They might be called 'The Little Nipper' or similar. Most camping type
stores will probably have them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)