Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default Super-strength rust/iron remover needed

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

The tenants at my daughter's rental property let the bathtub faucet
drip for a couple of years, building up a
rusty area about 12 inches in diameter beneath the faucet, except
directly under the drip where the build-up was washed away. I tried a
spray-on iron/rust remover, but it only helped around the edges. I
was able to scrape off a little portion using a screwdriver, but am
scared that I may damage the tub. Can anyone recommend a super-
strength remover? I vaguely remember something about oxalic acid as
being useful, but not sure.

1. Any acid will dissolve/remove some minerals. Your problem
may be that the rust is iron but you do not know the composition
of the bathtub surface, and do not want to dissolve that as well.
2. Prepackaged CLR (calcium/lime/rust) chemicals do most
such tasks.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs