Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT - It has become apparent ...

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

Don't suppose you recall the particular plant, perchance--or, if you
remember who and where it was, if I don't know it already I can
easily find it and answer specifics of that unit more accurately.

The Illuminating Co, E72nd & Shoreway, Cleveland

The coal was from strip mines in SE Ohio.

Although as I read the question again, perhaps that isn't what you
mean by "solving" the problem, I don't know...

You end up with a clinker/chard pile of waste.

Other than haul it to a land fill, did the industry ever find a use
for it?

Relatively few liquid slag units still; most have been retired and newer
units are dry ash.

No indication this unit still on the books according to the 1995
Directory of Electric Power Producers so can't determine anything more
about what it actually was, specifically. Probably pretty small,
perhaps an early cyclone unit to hazard a complete guess.

Interestingly, we did some of the early test work on the coalflow
instrumentation project at the East Lake plant.

A fair amount of ash is used for aggregate--concrete, block, asphalt,
etc., ... As long as unburnt C is 0.4-5% it's suitable.

Ash disposal is an issue although I'm still of the opinion there's no
real reason that which isn't used might as well go back into the hole
from which it came...