Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - It has become apparent ...

"dpb" wrote:

Last project before retiring back to the family farm after Dad died
was pulverized coal flow measurement via turbulent noise and unique
signal processing.

While still a student, our thermo class got to take a tour of a local
coal fired utility plant.

Still remember, the boilers were at least 5-6 stories tall.

The coal was pulverized finer than face talcum, then blown into the
boilers at the top and burned as it fell to the bottom.

The clinker that was formed at the bottom of the boilers was almost
like glass chards.

It couldn't be used for road bed or anything else useful at the time.

Was told by our professor that a lot of research money was available
to find a use for this clinker.

Since you have been involved with the utility industry, let me ask the
question:

Did the industry ever solve the clinker/chard problem?

Lew