Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default O/T: Opinion AKA: LipStick On A Pig

On Sep 11, 8:51*am, Phil Again wrote:

You will have to trust me on this, it is easier to explain (in 15
second
bites) lipstick quotes than it is to explain causes of 11 retail
banking
failures in one or two regions and none in rest of country.
Example two: Am I the only person who thinks USA should outlaw the use
of
Oil and diesel fuel from being used as fuel at large Electrical power
plants? And, should Taxpayers offer interest free loans to Utility
plants
to convert from Oil power plants to Nat Gas? Am I the only person who
looks at electrical cars and asks "where and how is that electricity
being generated?" Is that electricity used by cars really all that
pollution free?

Even Palin can't explain the Fannie Mae deal in 15 seconds or two
days!

As to the electrical power plant thing, yes, but.

"BUT" we are not now using oil to generate electricity at more than a
handful of locations.

Nearly 80% of our transportation infrastructure, however, depends upon
oil.

We impose a tax ($0.50/gallon) on imported Ethanol. THis needs to be
eliminated.

We require an FM radio in all vehicles sold in the US, but do not
require they be "multi-fuel" capable (adds about $120 to the
production cost).

We lease oil reserves (on and off shore) without adding "explore it or
lose it" language to the leases.
(80% of the leases controled by Oil Corps sit idle as we
speak)

OPEC has a big say in US energy production.

They decide what they will produce and, thus, influence the
price per bbl at will.
They added two new producing nations to OPEC without
increasing output by a single barrel.
Thus, effectively reducing world supplies!

Republicans (including self-styled Mavericks) have regularly opposed
CAFE standards intended to reduce US demand

Our fleet used to include millions of propane-fueled vehicles - many
sit in junk-yards today. These could be converted to Picken's NG, no?
If we can build propane cars and trucks, we can build NG cars
and trucks
Every converted vehicle reduces US demand and puts pressure
on OPEC

Republicans (including self-styled Mavericks) have regularly opposed
significant incentives for personal Hybrid purchases
You might get $2,000.00 if you bought a Prius, but it would
cost you five grand more than a Hyundai
They supported a four-year recaprure on the purchase of a
Hummer for small business amounting to nearly forty-grand
worth of incentives to put those monsters in every real
estate office in the land.

Big Oil wants to lease the rest of the sites before drilling on what
they have under lease now. Why is that?
Control. If they can lease it all, they control all drilling
in the US and thus
they can have their own little OPEC.
There will be no competition possble - no maverick upstart
company could lease a site and start drilling
as there would be no more leases available.

In fairness, the Republicans are good businessmen - savvy folks who
know how to keep America's oil companies profitable.
Folks who know better than I how to keep them earning big bucks and
protect their future earnings. Folks who may have tunnel vision.
Folks who may not see the the health, safety and well-being of our
citizens as a higher value than protecting Capitalist perogatives.

They are working these schemes for our own good

..