Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Some fancy metalworking

On Sep 12, 2:15*pm, Carl M wrote:
On Sep 11, 3:33*am, " wrote:

My uncle was working with some accelerator in the 60's. They were
zapping all sorts of things.
Somewhere I think I still have a plexiglas sample they zapped.

Karl- Hide quoted text -

* * *Where I work (okay, it's not really work when I have so much fun)
there's a radiation effects lab that I support on occasion. *Linear
accelerators, dynamatrons, flash x-rays, and other nifty stuff. *Most
of the work is testing equipment and components that will find their
way into the nasty environment of space (as well as aircraft, high
altitude electric trains, etc.) *At the end of the year if there's
time and the flash x-ray is set up right, the operator makes some of
those panels. *They're called Lichtenberg patterns. *We give them away
to retirees and such. *Very cool. *Some of the other projects we work
on are even cooler, but that's another topic.
* * *We've been following CERN with some interest, although some of
the terminology escapes us lowly lab techs. *The scale, cost, and
energies involved are purely mind boggling, and we work with some
pretty high numbers already.

There's a website that sells the Lichtenberg patterns in plexi. I
remember my uncle enjoyed that job.