Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alang Alang is offline

Default Stained glass/leaded window repair

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:10:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Hi, can anyone point me at info about repairing a leaded window?

Son managed to bend the pane outwards so much that two pieces of
glass have cracked badly. One of them has a huge hole in it.

I've found some links that suggest you could repair in-situ but they
don't offer much detail.

TIA
Cheers PJ

Ok, Ive not done this but apparently it works.

You have to cut teh leading with a dremel or stanley knife in the corers
enough to lever up a bit to get the old galss out: replacement glass can
be obtained (typically 3mm horticultural) and inserted, and then you
carefully bend the lead back: a blob of electrical solder (soldering
iron or gun: not blowlamp, though if you are careful an oxy torch works
I believe) on the cut parts restores all.

I used a soldering iron. Much safer. In my case it was an internal
leaded panel in a cabinet door so I could get it laid flat. External
ones need the lead sealing with putty or similar else you get water
penetrating.