Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Granite & Radon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The world is full of granite. Possibly some does emanate radon gas others
may not, but how much gas could a 5/8" thick sheet of granite hold,
especially after sitting around in yards, shipped half way around the world
and then installed in a kitchen. I am sure that many other mineral building
products are similar or worse, such as concrete made with granite aggregates
and other products mined from underground.

I am not a scientist but logic tells me there is nothing to fear any more
than most other things in this world.

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
Been hearing rumblings of radon gas emisions from granite countertops
and wanted to see what other people have experienced as it appears the
manufactured counter top folks profess it's a great hazard and the
granite people say it's nothing to be bothered with.

I have read a ton of stuff and still don't see it one or the other.
One of the confusing things is that they state radon gas is a
natuarlly occurring gas that happens when soil decays. They say it
can enter your home thru cracks or openings in your home's
foundation. The reason I question this with countertops is if the
"gas" needs a passageway to get from the soil into your home, how does
it get out of the countertop and into the air in your kitchen if the
countertop is completely sealed against bacteria with a non-pourous
coating???

Just wanted to check people's opinions and experiences.... thanks!