Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Looking for small hex coupling nut 0.25" across flats

On 2008-09-12, wrote:

[ ... ]

I am thinking about trying to use either a good CA (super glue) that I
purchased at the last NAMES convention or maybe some loctite. I could
try to use solder but I am worried about messing up the temper of the
drill bit. Since the drill bit is 8" long I could keep the other end
cool by placing it in a glass of water. I read in an old book that
using a patato would work for tasks like this. Another thought is
that if the bit is HSS and almost everthing is these days, it wouldn't
matter if the drill bit got up to soldering temperatures anyway. Is
this true?

If it is HSS (which is very likely), it also is likely to have
mild steel as the shank -- easier to grip in a drill chuck than a
hardened and ground surface like HSS.

Note that the standoffs which someone suggested come in three
choices of material.

Aluminum
Nylon
Brass

of those three -- I would consider brass to be the one to choose --
though an annealed hex key would work well. Use brazing, not soft
solder to get a good grip with hex key steel. If using the brass hex
standoffs use the lowest melting point hard (silver) solder you can
find, otherwise you will be working close to the melting point of the
brass.

You can also buy from aircraft maker's supply places drill bits
with brazed on ends which are a square or hex section threaded 1/4-28
(IIRC) to screw into shanks for air powered drill motors.

I also want to use one of those new mini drill drivers shuch as the
Bosch PS20-2A at
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...px?pid=PS20-2A

That looks cute. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564