Posted to alt.home.repair
bejay bejay is offline

Default Granite & Radon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

On Sep 12, 2:31*pm, Pat wrote:
On Sep 12, 1:15*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:

Been hearing rumblings of radon gas emisions from granite countertops
and wanted to see what other people have experienced as it appears the
manufactured counter top folks profess it's a great hazard and the
granite people say it's nothing to be bothered with.

I have read a ton of stuff and still don't see it one or the other.
One of the confusing things is that they state radon gas is a
natuarlly occurring gas that happens when soil decays. *They say it
can enter your home thru cracks or openings in your home's
foundation. *The reason I question this with countertops is if the
"gas" needs a passageway to get from the soil into your home, how does
it get out of the countertop and into the air in your kitchen if the
countertop is completely sealed against bacteria with a non-pourous
coating???

Just wanted to check people's opinions and experiences.... *thanks!

It could be hot. *It could be not. *Reading all day will not tell you
anything, unless you are reading at the counter and your hair all
falls out. *The only way to tell if YOUR counter tops is okay (and
that's the only one you really care about) is to have it tested.- Hide quoted text -

Depending on who you believe...The FDA just released a study/report
this summer that basically says; granite poses no health risks. The
amounts of granite are too small.