Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] daszkiew2000@yahoo.com is offline

Default Granite & Radon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

On Sep 12, 1:15*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
Been hearing rumblings of radon gas emisions from granite countertops
and wanted to see what other people have experienced as it appears the
manufactured counter top folks profess it's a great hazard and the
granite people say it's nothing to be bothered with.

I have read a ton of stuff and still don't see it one or the other.
One of the confusing things is that they state radon gas is a
natuarlly occurring gas that happens when soil decays. *They say it
can enter your home thru cracks or openings in your home's
foundation. *The reason I question this with countertops is if the
"gas" needs a passageway to get from the soil into your home, how does
it get out of the countertop and into the air in your kitchen if the
countertop is completely sealed against bacteria with a non-pourous
coating???

Just wanted to check people's opinions and experiences.... *thanks!

I'm a physicist. ANY amount of ionizing radiation poses a cumulative
threat to human cell chromosomes.The is no minimum. When you are
subject to x-ray or cat scan your body absorbs some "microcuries" of
radiation but exposure only lasts short while. Story changes with
presence of gamma ray emanating stones in your kitchen, where you stay
most of the time while at home. Even minuscule radiation intensity
will cumulate over time to seriously threaten your health/life. I
would NEVER install granite countertops in my kitchen or baths. Marble
makes a big difference. That natural material does not emit harmful
gamma rays but it's also more expensive, than ordinary granite. My
kitchen countertops are corian and my main bath has marble.
Cheers