Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst N Hurst is offline

Default Lathe Motor Replacement Conundrum

On Sep 12, 9:01*am, "Leon" wrote:
"N Hurst" wrote in message

I was gifted a basic ("Professional Woodworker" brand) lathe with a
dead 3/4 horse motor. *I have an old Dayton 3/4 horse motor (which is
much bigger and heavier than the one in the lathe) which I'd like to
use for the lathe, but the spindle on the "new" replacement motor is
maybe 1/16" too large for the pulley from the dead motor.

How should I go about getting the pulley on the motor? Should I crank
up the motor and just use sandpaper on the spindle until the pulley
fits or what? I'm hesitant to try to drill out the pulley because I
don't want to make the hole off center and ruin a mostly irreplaceable
part.

Also, since the "new" motor is so much larger than the dead one, I
have to relocate the motor to below the lathe's motor enclosure...
would one of those link belts be a good option for connecting the
pulleys or should I just go to an auto parts store and try to find an
appropriate size belt there?

Thanks!
Nathan

Have you looked into having the old motor repaired?

No, I haven't. I'm not sure it would be worth it. It's not a very
impressive specimen, and I think it would probably cost me more than
$20 to have repaired, which is what a new belt and pulley would cost
me.

Here's a photo of the old motor and the "new" one, side by side:
http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3mediumng9.jpg

Something tells me that the 3/4 hp I'd get from the Dayton brand motor
would be better than the 3/4 hp the unbranded one would give me.

I was under the impression that small motor repair was generally a
comparatively expensive proposition. If I'm going to be out around
$20, wouldn't it be better to have a more robust motor driving things
than repair something that's already broken down once?

And to Tom:

I'm not 100% sure on my measurements. I've been using the "inside the
house" tape measure, which sometimes doubles as a toy for my 2 year
old son, so you're most likely right in that it's 14mm. I would hope
the motor would have that information on it, but I'm learning to not
expect too much from these cheap imports. :-)

-Nathan