Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Wireless tyre pressure monitoring?

John wrote:

Chris

I thought some cars use the antilock braking sensors to compare the
speed of each wheel - over a significant distance. If one is
revolving at a different speed consistently then it warns of a
puncture

Dunno. Mine doesn't. Besides which, I don't know whether that would
work. There is a school of thought which says that the distance
covered per wheel rev is determined by the amount of tread laid on
the road - rather than 2 x Pi x standing height. If that is that
case, a soft tyre would not rotate at a higher speed than an
inflated one. --
Cheers,
Roger
______

A lengthy article he

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd.../05-0082-O.pdf

Thanks - two very useful articles for explaining the technology.

Using the existing ABS speed sensors is clearly cheaper than having
pressure/temperature sensors in the wheels - but has to be designed into the
car rather than being suitable for after-market use.

I'd still like to find someone who is using an after-market pressure
monitoring system in the UK - in order to find out what is available, and
whether it works ok. Surely there must be *somebody*?!
--
Cheers,
Roger