Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default One channel on stereo amp blows filter cap on negative rail

wrote:
Tiger Luck wrote:
snip
The grounds are intact. By that I mean to say that point in the CB

where
electrolytic caps C312 and C313 are grounded is continuous with the

ground at the
power supply filter caps. Chassis is the same. All points which are

supposed to be
grounded are continuous as read by an ohm meter.

Those little 100uF caps are _not_ the main 'lytics. The mains would
likely be 1000uF to 10000uF (or possibly even more) and be located
near the main bridge rectifier - which is on the _rest_ of the
schematic along with the power transformer.. I think you'll find the
main negative bus 'lytic to be open or dried out so that you're
putting LOTS of ripple current on those littlle 100uF caps. Those
100uF caps are just local 'clean up' caps and can't handle the load.

Also could be crook bridge rectifier, and the caps are being pumped up by
half-wave surges rather that continuous full wave ones, so the average
charging current is higher.

geoff