Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Stupidness at the rubbish dump

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 12 Sep, 07:59, "Toby Sleigh" wrote:
"gazz" wrote in
No, my crime, i had brought 4 bags of rubble in a trailer!!!

they claim there's a 'law' that says i'm only allowed to take 3 bags of
rubble a day to the tip.. fairysnuff i thought, stops the commercial
tippers, but then they said they had to be in the boot of my car, no
rubble allowed to be deposited at the tip from a trailer!!!!!

I wonder what they'd say if I turned up on my bicycle with 3 bags of
rubble
in my bike trailer...

Well can I suggest you all come and live in West Lothian where there
is absolutely none of the troubles you talk about.

I've gone with a trailer and a van and been given nothing but helpful
assistance. I don't know what their attitude is to commercial boys
with vans though, but I suspect that within reason they are accepted
on the basis that it is cheaper to deal with there off loads there
than collect the fly tipping.

They have kind of reverted to that round my way as well (Oxfordshire). There
was a period where you were limited to "3 large things" and trailers were
frowned on but they seem to have given up on that as it was unworkable and
stuff just got dumped anywhere or people just made extra journeys. More keen
now that stuff goes in the right skip which is fair enough. They have even
extended the opening hours (a lot of people go on the way to work) and
rebuilt the whole recycling centre. Plenty of vans there as well.

Their official policy on DIY waste is still:

"DIY waste from householders is accepted at all eight Waste Recycling
Centres. The first three items are free and subsequent items are charged at
£1 each up to a maximum of £10 (i.e. 13 items in total). An item counts as a
normal bin bag of waste, one door, one sink, one bath etc."

Which isn't too bad but I have NEVER seen anyone charged!

The council's problem is that they get a financial hit from the government
if they dump more landfill so they want commercials to pay and householders
to recycle.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)