Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default One channel on stereo amp blows filter cap on negative rail

snip

Output trannies are back in. Speakers hooked up. Tuner tuned in.

Fingers crossed.

And here goes... power up... power down, got smoke.

Output trannies on the left side got hot, but held.

The drama continues. Will pull output trannies on left side and check
right side for okayness.

Spoke too soon. Three of the output trannies fried and the fourth probably
would have if I had left the power on longer.

I have never given up on a piece of gear until now. It almost seems like
the power supply might be the problem seeing as how the outputs on both
channels fried, but who knows. It reads okay.

I've been at this thing for about four days straight now and I am totally
fried behind it. I've resurrected stuff the local vintage stereo store has
given up on, but this took me to my limits and left me out to dry.

If anyone wants this pup, with schematics, minus a couple of output
trannies, for the price of postage, email me at jack6128 at gmail dot
com

Je suis fini.

--
Einstein forgot to carry the two

I do sympathise old boy. In years past, I never gave up on anything either,
but I must admit that these days, sometimes I do, out of both a need to be
commercial and keep the wife off my back for not earning any money, and out
of sheer frustration. I think that latter condition is something that creeps
up on you with age. Suddenly, some things are more important than not
letting some inanimate object beat you ...

That said, I reckon that this baby has got to be worth one more go if - and
*only* if - you can lay hands on a variac, so you can wind up the input
power to make the rails just high enough to take sensible measurements, but
low enough to stop the ouput trannies releasing their magic smoke ...

As William says, give it a break over the weekend, then come back to it with
fresh eyes (and a variac !!) on Monday. If you do, carry on keeping us
updated. It's an interesting saga, if a little frustrating for you.

Arfa