Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default Sony Dream Machine ICF-C121

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Ardent wrote:

Someone plugged my Dream machine (rated 110 VAC) into a 220
VAC outlet and the transformer primary got trashed. Since I will be
living here for a while I thought of getting a transformer made here
locally (very cheap, honest).

I'm willing to bet it's rather more than just the transformer. Copper
takes time to melt while solid state destructs near instantly.

Agreed. The fact the transformer was damaged -- which likely doesn't occur
instantly -- suggests that at least a few parts in the power supply let
out
their life-giving smoke.

I see small transformers like this fry very quickly with double voltage
applied. Happens all the time here in the US when the neutral lifts. Most
often that is all that is wrong, though I'll admit that does sound
surprising.

Mark Z.