Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst N Hurst is offline

Default Lathe Motor Replacement Conundrum

On Sep 10, 11:51*pm, dpb wrote:
N Hurst wrote:
On Sep 10, 9:53 pm, dpb wrote:
Purchase a pulley of the proper diameter and bore.

Any recommendations on where to go for one?

Local hardware for a start, motor shops and/or auto parts places and
other industrial distributors.

There's always the online route of McMaster-Carr, Grainger, et al, but
ordinary items like this shouldn't be any problem locally.

Rather than a flat side section on the spindle like most motors I've
seen, my motor has a notch cut out of the spindle in which a small
square metal peg was inserted.

That's typical keyed way -- more than likely 3/16". *Key stock or precut
keys are a dime at the hardware store or may well come w/ the pulley.

Did the original motor run at the same rpm as the replacment?

... The replacement is a 1750rpm, and I'm pretty sure a machine of
this level wouldn't spin at the 3000rpm mark.

That's why I asked -- if you had a common 3450 rpm motor, I was betting
the original was likely 1725.

--

The only 4 step pulleys I can find have minimum sizes ranging from
1/4" larger than the original at the smallest step to 1/2" larger at

Also, after measuring, I discovered that the original pulley bore is
1.5cm! I'm glad I came here for help, because I hadn't even thought
about this thing being metric! The pulley steps on the original are 4,
5, 6, and 7 cm, and the replacement ones will be 1-3/4", 2-1/4",
2-3/4", and 3-1/4".

-Nathan