Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Speeds when facing

"Michael Koblic" wrote:

If you are facing a 5" diameter work in a lathe do you increase the RPMs as
you near the center?

Surface feet per minute decreases as you move toward center.

I don't think too many people stop and change speeds as they face though. Start out at
the right speed and accept that you will be slow at center.

My Clausing has a varidrive so I actually could give the speed control a turn as I head in
if I was in a hurry

CNC lathes have a constant surface speed mode that ramps the spindle up as you approach
center. Also have a G code to say do not go about a certain rpm.

Wes