Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default Stupidness at the rubbish dump

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:54:31 +0100, "gazz" wrote:

snip

Just who the hell is meddeling with things that have worked so well for
years and screwing them up?
a few years ago the tip was a place to take anything you couldent put out
for normal rubbish commections, we even used to nip into the tip with normal
rubbish bags on the way to the shops to save having so many for the binmen,
now we get told there's a limit on the number of times we can go to the tip
in a week or they suspect we are traders with commercial waste,

They call it recycling, but ask to 'recycle' something you see dumped there
and your told no way, it has to be destroyed, someone dumped an electric
golf trolley the other week, just what i needed to make a powered mover for
my trailer, but the miserable sods said it had to be recycled by them by
destroying it, my way of recycling it would be a lot better, but they werent
having any of it.

No wonder there are so many fly tippers about.

Copy your post to your local council.
Many tips these days are run by subcontractors, and to some extent
they set their own policy - although there may also be some regional
variations at council level.
I believe 'refuse services' come under the auspices of the council
tax, so if the system's not working for you then you surely have a
right to complain.

It's well worth emphasizing the advantages of recycling goods by
selling them the general public ( something of a business opportunity
in waiting for the canny entrepreneur, by the looks of it ).

You're right about the fly-tippers, although in the last year or so
I've noticed a distinct shift from household appliances to general
domestic and light building rubbish...probably because anything metal
gets snapped up by roaming totters.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk