Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default O/T: Opinion AKA: LipStick On A Pig

Phil Again wrote:

Example two: Am I the only person who thinks USA should outlaw the use of
Oil and diesel fuel from being used as fuel at large Electrical power
plants? And, should Taxpayers offer interest free loans to Utility plants
to convert from Oil power plants to Nat Gas? Am I the only person who
looks at electrical cars and asks "where and how is that electricity
being generated?" Is that electricity used by cars really all that
pollution free?

Couple of comments. First, I think demand for natural gas is increasing
faster than demand for oil. It may be cheaper now (haven't checked
prices for equal BTUs lately) but that may change in the not-so-distant
future.

Second, all else being equal larger fuel-burning motors are more
efficient than smaller ones. Also, electric motors can be very
efficient. Thus, one really big motor at a power plant burning oil to
generate electricity to power electric cars could end up being more
efficient overall than a bunch of gas-powered cars.

Also, some baseload power plants run at basically full capacity
regardless of load. Because of this, a certain amount of baseload
generating capacity is "wasted" at night when power consumption drops.
This power could be used to charge electric vehicles with minimal effect
on overall demand.

Chris