Posted to uk.d-i-y
endymion endymion is offline

Default Storage Heaters E7 ( me again)

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:09:40 +0100 someone who may be "endymion"
wrote this:-

Is that right, should a 3.5 kw heater running for 7 hours on economy be
using that much electric?

A 3.5kW heater, if it charged up for the full 7 hours, would gobble
up 3.5 * 7 = 24.5kWh. In reality it will probably not charge up for
all 7 hours, but that depends on conditions.

Yes, thats what I thought. But it looks like the heater is using three
times that. Its a new meter and I have been reading it daily so I know its
not dodgy otherwise - and I have figured how to read it.

The hike in figures has only gone on over last night. I didnt have it on
full input either. I had it on number 4 so it should only have taken 2/3
charge.

Your meter will have at least two dials or electronic displays (on
the same panel, press the botton(s) to scroll through the display.
There is something fishy about what loads you are actually turning
on, or in reading the meter.

I know exactly what I am switching on ( assuming its not connected to
heating thin air or something! I am also clear about the meter. Its a brand
new digital one and is accurate and steady ( except for the hike last
night. ) I am sure I only switched on one heater. Honest. I had to put it
on. I have chest problems and I was struggling without the heat.

I had thought I had found the source of the problems in another heater but
it looks like they have all been using the same - 65 units per heater per
night. No wonder I had that high bill!

But that begs the question - how?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh