Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Storage Heaters E7 ( me again)

Mike Dodd wrote:
endymion wrote:
I cant follow this, maybe someone with a qualification can do the
maths and tell me if its right?

I put on one of the storage heaters last night ( not the new one, it
hasnt been fitted yet).

I have checked the meter daily so I know my electric usage each night
is between 15 and 17 units WITHOUT the storage heater(s) on.

I am charged at 5 p a unit ( kw?)

I put one 3.25 kw capacity storage heater on last night. The
electric meter read 82 units used overnight.

Now if I take away the 17 I would normally use during the night for my
essentials and drabs , that means the heater used 65 units over
night. That means the heater cost me nearly a fiver to have it on
for one night.

Is my maths correct?

Is that right, should a 3.5 kw heater running for 7 hours on economy
be using that much electric?

Does that sound right to you? Just need to know. I am clueless and
confused totally.

Correct, 1 Unit = 1 kWh

So, 3.5 kw x 7h = 24.5 kWh /units

Assuming the storage heater was on constantly (i.e. not cycling on a
thermostat, which I'm guessing is an invalid assumption).

Is it me going mad?

24.5 is not equal to 65

Seems to me, if the meter was read and recorded correctly, there are
40.5 kWh to be accounted for.

--
Rod

onset.