Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Tiger Luck Tiger Luck is offline

Default One channel on stereo amp blows filter cap on negative rail

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I replaced all the electro caps less than two years ago. Amp
worked fine up until now. Polarity was and is correct. After
cap blew today, new replacement cap over heated. I shut off
power before it blew out.

It's remotely possible the replacement was defective. If the voltage across
the cap's location is correct in level and polarity, then that can't be the
problem.

Question... How safe is it -- other than the cap blowing -- to operate the
amp? I think you need to put a 'scope on a number of points and see what's
happening.

I don't mean to hassle you on the question of polarity, but... Japanese caps
generally have a black line on one side pointing toward the negative lead.

These caps have a line of pluses down one side pointing to the plus lead. The CB has
a plus printed next to one hole for the ECs. I installed several of these caps in
this amp. They are foolproof. The amp worked perfectly for a couple of years with
these caps installed.

I don't have a scope, but I may buy a used Philips PM3050 for $85 just to see what
I'm missing.

--
Einstein forgot to carry the two