Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default One channel on stereo amp blows filter cap on negative rail

Transformer has stayed cool. The 3 amp fuses on the positive and
negative rails are not blowing at this point. I don't have a 'scope, but
have a line on a Philips PM3050 for $85. There is more going on here
than I can read at the moment. I have the output pair on the left channel
yanked at this point because they shorted out. Now the output pair on
the right channel are heating up when the power is on. The electro cap
that blew is on the right channel. Part of the 15 volt regulator circuitry
failed and I replaced some parts there. But that's it for tonight.

I think you have problems that go fary beyond a bad cap. I suspect the bad
cap is a effect more than a cause.

I would start by pulling the output pair on the right channel and trying to
get everything else working correctly.