Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Computer power supply uses (NOT home repair topic)

Leroy wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
Anyone know how much 12 volt DC a power supply
provides? On a survival note, maybe a 12 volt tap off
computer power supply could charge up a car battery,
or be emergency communications.

Depends on the supply, they vary a great deal. Use google
to locate the specs on a supply. I doubt if most could supply
2 amps of 12V. You might consider a very small battery
charger and a small battery (like a motorcycle batt). Look
at the label on back of the cb to see how much current is
needed. watts / 12 = amps required. If no label, check
what amperage fuse the cb has.

All the computer PS that I have dealt with won't even fire up unless they
are connected to a MB.
That is partly what makes it so hard to figure out if it is the MB or
the PS
that is dead on a non-starting system.

That's because the supplies need a load on the 5 volt output.
Hang a power resistor between 5V and gnd. some may also require
a mometary short between two leads to start the supply.

Why reinvent the wheel? Rat shack used to sell a perfectly usable $20
bench supply that worked fine with CBs. Just checked, not anymore. Did a
quick Google, and found several, that look like like modern versions of
what RS used to sell- here is a likely loking example:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=9902+PS

All depends what your time is worth, I guess.

--
aem sends...