Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] Chungho@zongazonga.zip is offline

Default Zenith SF2023H TV - no sound

You've started with the speaker, so work backward from there.
Get the specs on the Audio and IF-Video Jungle chips. Inject a test signal into
the input of the audio chip. See if it has a mute pin and desolder and isolate,
ground or tie high... depending on the chip and what it "sees" as a unmuted
signal. With a Signal tracer, see if any audio from the IF-Video Jungle chip.
Check any and all transistors between the CPU mute out to the audio circuits as
well as any diodes in the circuit. Check for any bridges of recently killed bugs
or other material around the pins of the chips.

The speaker is hooked up and tests good. The audio functionality in this TV
appears to be centered on a daughtercard mounted near the rear of the
mainboard. There's not much on this board--a capacitor, some "other stuff"
and a Philips integrated audio amplifier (of unknown type--haven't looked
yet) is it.

Any ideas? I've already checked for any speaker switches (found none), tried
the "master reset" command in the menu (seems to affect the picture only)
and gave the TV a good "shakedown" test to see if I could find cold solder
joints (it didn't change behavior in any way).

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final