Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Ms Palin's bookery

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:26:09 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

As a matter of law, you're absolutely right. To remove the evil of slavery,
we had to sacrifice limited government, the rule of law, the Constitution,
and, arguably, our future. Perhaps this is our divine punishment for
ever trading in humans.

If you believe the Gulf wars were fought to "free the oppressed" then

Hmm, IIRC, the first Gulf War was fought to return Kuwait to
the "Kuwaitis" and kick Sadaam out. The second one was
fought - depending on who you find credible - to:

a) Get rid of Sadaam and any WMDs found there. (Check and Check)
b) Control ME oil. (That really worked, didn't it)
c) Enrich Halliburton (Curse Clinton for giving them the contracts in the first place)
d) Hasten the return of Jesus (Even the Hadron Collider seems not to have done this)
e) Get even on behalf of W's daddy (Check)
f) Further enfranchise the necons (Yeah, that's why they're fighting for survival now.)
e) Show the world how eeeeeeeevil the US is.
f) Tee up pressure on the real bad guys, Iran (my belief)

(Actually, I think the war was concocted to benefit the political
left/progressives. There is no other situation other than war protests
were the most unattractive, unkempt, dirty, vulgar, and generally dumb
citizens, could ever get that much TV time... but that's just a
guess on my part.)

you'll believe the Civil War was fought over slavery :-).

Yes, the south seceded to keep slavery. That was morally wrong but
legal. The north went to war to "preserve the union", not to free the
slaves. That was illegal. The emancipation proclamation was issued in
hopes of fomenting slave rebellion in the south. It didn't free a single
slave in areas under Union control.

You know, I've heard/read this analysis before, but I don't entirely
buy it. Your facts, as rendered, are correct. But it's kind of
hard to ignore the slavery elephant in the room. *None* of this
would have happened had the slavery issue not existed. The rest is
just window dressing. In the end, the US was built by patriots intent
on preserving individual liberty but who caved the first time a
real issue in that vein showed up. We've been paying for it ever since.
(And we continue you to pay for it. Absent the slavery issue, we'd never
have to listen to the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan,
and all the rest of the professional victims.)

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/