Bay Area Dave

Default Mobile bases for router & tablesaw

I agree with the squirrel on this one...Not everyone enjoys making all
of their shop equipment; they've got their eye on the furniture making,
or whatever wood projects suit their fancy. Some guys will scrounge
around for weeks or months for a used motor, pulleys, switches, wire,
brackets, pulleys, nuts/bolts, belts, framistans, doohickeys,
thingamjigs, whatchacallits, etc instead of shelling out $89 for a belt
sander. To each his own. Try not to be so critical of those who focus
their energies in this endeavor we all refer to as "Woodworking".
Narrow-mindedness never solved anything.

dave

Upscale wrote:

Secret wrote in message
. 4.10...

(RM MS) wrote in news:29796-3F4F97E4-63@storefull-
2293.public.lawson.webtv.net:
And the value of that time is what? 0?
I'm all for do it yourself and being inventive, but sometimes it's just
frivolous. I could put in 2 hours of overtime, and make FAR more than
what the cost of the factory built base is, purchase the purpose-built
welded steel item and still have money left over. More-over with spare
time being at a premium, I'd rather work on the projects that interest me
than spend time dicking around trying to cobble up solutions to problems
that have already been solved. I suspect that I'm far from alone in that

With an outlook like that, why would you do any woodworking at all?
Everything you've ever made has likely been made by someone else and is just
as likely forsale somewhere cheaper than what you could make at your job.
The joy is in the making, the fixing and the sense of accomplishment, not a
cost/time ratio based against your job. With your outlook, it must be really
difficult to construct anything.