Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default HOA: "Tear down that house"

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:44:49 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sep 10, 9:58 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

"[SANFORD, Fla.] A Sanford man whose wife and son were killed when an
airplane crashed into their home may have to tear down his rebuilt house
because a homeowners' association said he is breaking their rules."

http://www.local6.com/news/17427900/detail.html

As much as I dislike most HOA's, I can see a couple of sides to this
issue.

On one hand, if the poor widower wants to rebuild on the same lot
under the same HOA, then he should follow the rules. If not, move. If
they made exceptions for every tragic event that happened to someone
in the neighborhood then the rules would be a joke. "I can never drive
a car again because my wife died in an car accident. Let me keep my
pick-up truck." I'm not defending the HOA per se, but if someone
chooses to live in a HOA-controlled neighborhood, then they also
choose to live under their rules.

On the other hand, how did it get so far into the process ("a few
weeks from being completed') without the flags going up earlier?
Didn't he have to have the plans approved before construction started?
If the HOA approved them, then they can't stop it now. If he tried to
avoid the approval, hoping to play on their sympathies, then he is at
fault.

I think there is more to this story than just what's in the article.

Wonder where the city building code authority has been on the issue? No
permit? That is
tragic.

Some localities may also require a demolition permit. There must be a
paper trail somewhere

Two planes have crashed into homes in N Las Vegas in past few weeks.
Maybe they're in an HOA...