Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Ms Palin's bookery

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
On Sep 10, 10:26 am, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

As a matter of law, you're absolutely right. To remove the evil of slavery,
we had to sacrifice limited government, the rule of law, the Constitution,
and, arguably, our future. Perhaps this is our divine punishment for
ever trading in humans.

Slavery has been aptly referred to as the original sin of the
United States.

--

FF

Well, in a sense I agree. But let's not forget that the US - indeed
all the Western powers of that day - hardly invented slavery. More to
the point, the slaves they bought were enslaved by, um, *Africans*.
Further to the point, it was the West - animated by the Enlightenment
ideas and driven by *religious* conscience *that gave up slavery in
less than 3 centuries* whereas it has been going on for millenia before.

It is ironic that slavery has been around all of recorded human history,
that the orginal slavers of Africans were Africans, that one of the only
places in the world you can still buy slaves is Africa, that the West
ceased this horrid practice after a (relatively) short time, but all
we hear about is the West's culpability in the matter. Almost nowhere
are the Africans or other tribal peoples around the world held to
account for their continued savage barbarism. Quiet to the contracy,
we have academic muttonheads praising and celebrating tribalism
in their classrooms.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/