Posted to alt.home.repair
BCDrums BCDrums is offline

Default Is it possible to wear through a garbage disposer housing?

the_tool_man wrote:
Hi all:

I opened the cabinet under the kitchen sink to get out the dishwashing
detergent and there was a puddle of water under there. After 15
minutes of poking around, I have come to the conclusion that the leak
is coming from the side of the garbage disposer unit under the sink.
Of course, the leak is on the back side, so I can't really get a good
look at it. From what I can see, there are a number of chalky white
spots (looking much like oxidized aluminum) in a ring around the
periphery of the unit, and the water is coming from one of them. Do
they make these out of aluminum? That might explain how it could wear
through. I plan to pull it out and see for sure. For the sake of
curiosity, I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen one wear through its
housing. This unit is a 15 year old In-sink-erator Badger 5.

I had the same problem; a pinhole in the side of the unit at the bottom,
leaking water. Hard to believe! I got about fifteen years out of mine too.

Time for a new one!

BC