Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Octagonal aluminum bar stock?

wrote:

I was thinking he meant with a square collet. Actually, with a square
collet, you may not even need a spin index, just a square collet
block, and mount the collet in the block at 45 degrees...

That would require indexing the collet to get the stock at
the 45 degrees. Starting with round stock means more passes
but much lighter cuts. It still leaves me with either a part
I have to handle twice in the lathe to do the grooving, or
waste a significant bit of material leaving extra in the
collet. Though low production, it's still a production
process and flipping a collet block 400 times gets tedious.

Jon