Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_4_] Erik[_4_] is offline

Default Adjustable wrench

In article ,
Anagram wrote:

Is there such a thing as a high-quality adjustable wrench? One with high
enough quality that you could use it in place of a lot of ordinary
wrenches, and not have it round/damage the heads of the nuts?

In particular, it should reliably hold its exact adjustment, and should be
exactly adjustable to the nut it's applied to.

Even a Craftsman 2-piece set for $29.99 has a bad review for rounding the
nuts. What brand is better?

You got some good replies, and I agree with them. I think the reason
they sell so well is that inexperienced people see them as a way to
avoid buying real wrenches.

For the record, about the only use I've ever found is shutting off and
turning on gas valves. Even then you need a good sized (and heavy) one
to get adequate leverage.

By the way, Snap-On makes beautiful, fully chromed 'comfort handle'
adjustable wrenches ranging from a measly $44.25 to $73.50 each (or a
set of 4 for only $228.50). They have them sans the 'comfort handle' as
well for slightly less. I've had an opportunity to witness one of these
in actual use, and can report that other than looking good, they're the
same old song and dance.

http://www.snapon.com/

Search on adjustable wrench.

Erik