Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr. Gardebner Mr. Gardebner is offline

Default CFL Bulbs And Ceiling Fans

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:12:41 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 09/09/08 11:59 am Mr. Gardebner wrote:

I recently put CFL bulbs in all my lamps, ceiling fans and light
sockets. On the ceiling fans there are dimmers. When the fan lights
are turned on at the dimmer and then turned all the way up, one fan
light stays dim for about an hour, then will start to flicker and go
to its normal brightness and does not flicker anymore. The other
ceiling fan light flickers the entire time and also makes a buzzing
noise. i had a dimmer on the kitchen light also and it would also
flicker whenever the light was on. I replaced the dimmer with a simple
off and on switch and this solved the problem. I only have the problem
where there are dimmer switches installed. Why are the lights having
this problem?

The packaging of most CFLs says that they are not to be used in
conjunction with dimmers. Dimmable CFL floods (BR30 or similar
configuration) have recently come on the market (Philips is one brand
I've seen), but they are expensive.

Perce

I found a link to one type of dimmable cfl on home depots page here
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100626049
How is it that it is not energy star compliant?