Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Breaker Trips

"AT" wrote in message
This has happened for the second time in last One week . Both these
days we had rain and both these adys we went to basement and did some
work (usually we donot frequent basement). The breaker that trip is
associated with Sump Pump, a few lights in Basement.

The first time it tripped , I on'ed it again an Sump pump drained out
water from basement for around 45 minutes (with gaps varying from 1
minutes to subsequently 5 minutes). When it tripped the second time,
no activity was noticed on sump pump, and it continues to work for
now.

I donot know at this stage, as to why is the breaker tripping. Never
happended before.

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

Two immediate thoughts come to mind. There is a problem with the sump pump
or there is a problem with the circuit breaker. Try connecting the sump
pump to an outlet on another circuit and see what happens the next time it
rains.

I suggest that you have a separate circuit installed for the sump pump.
There is also the possibility that you are overloading the circuit with the
lights, sump pump, and whatever else is on that circuit. That would explain
the breaker tripping.