Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_3_] krw[_3_] is offline

Default Tablesaw HP

In article de26a03d-45ec-4a41-8158-
,
says...
I was talking with my dad the other day and he mentioned he might by a
3HP TS from a friend. It got me wondering what the HP was on my Jet
Supersaw and I found it was 1 3/4. I guess my question (apart from
the obviose of increaced cutting power) is what is the real
difference. I rewired my saw for 220 - but doubt that give me an HP
upgrade, I bet it just kind of smooths out the power draw.

It doesn't "smooth out" the power but as others have mentioned, it
will give you somewhat more power (and keep the motor cooler)
because there is less drop in the wires (all assuming the same sized
wiring).

Also, can 3HP really run on 110?

It *can*, but likely won't. 1HP ~= 750W, assuming 100% efficiency.
A 120V 30A circuit might be able to supply a 3HP motor, but it would
be a waste of copper (#10 wire required). A 220V 20A circuit is
almost always simpler and cheaper, all around.

He seems to think it can. I have not been
able to bog down my TS and I have always found cutting to be great.

Don't worry. Be happy.

The only thing I really cut though are Oak and Ply. What benifits
would I expect with an upgrade? Can a TS motor be replaced to
increase HP, or do you just have to buy a new saw?

It likely can be replaced, but since you're happy with the saw now
there is little chance the "upgrade" would be worth the expense.

For those that do not know, the supersaw was kind of a hybrid cabinet/
contractor saw. Personally I love it, but the only other saw I have
owned/used was a benchtop Skil.

A bit of difference there! ;-)

I'm guessing anything bigger is just more bragging rights, but what do
I know. Any insite appreciated!

For most, I think you're right on the money.

--
Keith