Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Working with Galvanized Metal

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 18:39:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hello,

I'm working with some galvanized metal ... maybe I should purchase a soldering
gun and put some solder on the joins...will this stand the test of
time? How about epoxy or liquid nails? How about using both solder
and some sort of adhesive?

1. Solder pretty much means flux. Flux corrodes. It's surprisingly
hard to clean it all off.

2. Long ago, I did some brazing (oxy-acetylene) on galvanized. It did
some pretty scary (though apparently short-term) stuff to my lungs. If
you use flame for solder/silver solder/whatever, I suggest using serious
ventilation.

3. At least with the brazing I did, the heat destroyed the galvanize
coating.