Posted to alt.home.repair
kool kool is offline

Default OT Looks like T Boone has switched from win to natural gas

"Phil Again" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:27:55 -0700, RickH wrote:

On Sep 8, 4:13 pm, metspitzer wrote:
OT Looks like T Boone has switched from wind to natural gas

CNG as a transportation and heating fuel makes great sense, we are
wasting CNG when we use it to make electricity. Electricity is better
made with nuclear, wind, hydro or coal. I think T Boone is still
pushing wind for electricity so we could eliminate NG power generation.
A good idea considering todays combustion engines with computer controls
can be easily re-adapted for NG and filling stations can just as
naturally add CNG pumps. CNG is portable and produces a lot of energy
to replace gasoline and maybe diesel in medium duty trucks. An piston
engine that can burn both CNG or gasoline is feasible with todays
technology, making NG a great clean bridge fuel for transportation use.

If I understand it correctly, CNG is a Liquid form of NG. Similar to LPG
or propane. That bums me out! I was hopping to just fill up a car with
NG that I have piped into my home. My home NG is in the gaseous state,
not compressed liquefied state that a CNG .

I really would like to get away from the Gas Station routine of filling
up my car. After all these years of pumping gas at a station, I would be
willing to give that up for sake of Energy Independence.

{with tongue in cheek} Maybe a Sears power tool that would hook up to my
home's NG, compress the the NG and pump the liquid CNG to my car. Keep
the compressor in the garage, right next to the Lawn Mower.

CNG is compressed to about 3000psig but it is still in vapor form.It is not
liquified at these pressures. It's range is limited because of this so it
requires filling the tank(s) frequently.It takes about 4 hours of filling to
get enough cng to drive 50 miles. The compressor is available for home use
but is expensive and requires rebuilding about every 6000 hours of
operation. After 24000 hours (3 rebuilds) it needs to be replaced.