Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ JJ is offline

Default How can I determine if magnetic starter (switch) on my Grizzly1023 is damaged?

On Sep 9, 11:30 am, spaco wrote:
Sorry, I pushed the wrong button!

Since you said "---detect current at the switch---", I will assume that
you are somewhat light on "electricity". Detecting CURRENT would mean
that electricity is flowing in the circuit and so something would be
turning, humming or smoking. Since this is not the case, you probably
meant that you detected VOLTAGE somewhere along the line.
So, to help you get started troubleshooting this saw I recommend you
visit these sites:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Ohmmeter
You will use an ohmmeter with the power disconnected. This is good for
personal safety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_starter
You might try googling "Magnetic starter wiring" to find out more about
how they work.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------------------

JJ wrote:
I have not been able to start a Griz 1023 saw that I recently bought
used (and yes, it ran in the garage of the guy I purchased it from).
I moved it on a trailer about 30 miles, so it's possible that the
starter could be damaged if they are delicate. I have no experience
with these magnetic starters.

I detect current at the switch. I checked all the wiring connections
to the motor and blew/vac'd out the extra dust. Everything 'seems' ok
there.

Is there a way to test the switch without taking it out and wiring it
to something else?

Any troubleshooting advice would be much appreciated. I don't want to
order a replacement starter if it isn't the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes, voltage. Sorry, typing too fast. Thinking too little.